South Bay, Florida is located approximately 45 miles west of West Palm Beach, 75 miles east of Fort Myers and 75 miles northwest of Miami. The community is situated on the southeastern shores of Lake Okeechobee. The city of South Bay is located at the crossroads of South Florida where State Highway 80 and U.S. Highway 27 meet. State Highway 80 is a major east-west highway linking the East Coast of Florida with the West Coast of Florida, and U.S. Highway 27 is a major north-south artery. South Bay is approximately 40 miles from the nearest North/South interstate.
South Bay is served by the Florida East Coast Railway Company (FEC) and by the South Central Florida Railroad (SCFRR). Both lines connect with CSX Railway and Norfolk Southern to provide service throughout Florida and the United States as well as parts of Canada. Service is also available to FEC through the Port of Palm Beach and piggyback service is available in West Palm Beach, distance 45 miles.
The South Bay Park of Commerce is accessible to and can be served by rail, however, there is not an existing rail spur to the property.
Daily truck service is available to the South Bay Park of Commerce.
There are no terminals located in the South Bay area, the nearest terminals are located in West Palm Beach, distance 45 miles.
Truck lines serving South Bay include:
- Alterman Transport Lines
- Carolina Freight Carriers Corp.
- Roadway Express, Inc.
- Yellow Freight System, Inc.
UPS and Federal Express both serves South Bay.
South Bay does not have a commercial airport. There are two private airports near South Bay.
Palm Beach County Glades Airport - Pahokee Airport will accommodate corporate jets. The runway is 4,709 feet in length and 75 feet wide. It has runway lighting and V.O.R. approach. There is an aircraft maintenance facility on site
Belle Glade - State Municipal Airport - It will accommodate corporate jets. The runway is 3,750 feet in length and 50 feet wide. It has a reflective lighting system
The commercial airlines serving Palm Beach County are:
- American. Laker
- American Trans Midway
- Bahamas Air Northwest
- Carnival Paradise Island
- Com Air TWA
- Continental U.S. Air
- Delta United
- Gulfstrearn Valu Jet
Commercial flights may be boarded at Palm Beach International Airport in West Palm Beach. The distance to the airport is 45 miles and driving time is 45 minutes.
Contact - Surina Woodson Brown
Telephone Number - (561) 996-3998
- The source of the community's water is the surface water of Lake Okeechobee.
- The maximum capacity of the water system is 2.2 million gallons per day.
- The annual average daily usage is .455 million gallons per day.
- The highest recent usage is .733 million gallons per day.
Water cost for the following water usage:
- 10,000 gallons per day - $ 600.00
- 30,000 gallons per day - $1,800.00
- 50,000 gallons per day - $3,000.00
Contact - Edgar Kerr
Telephone Number - (561) 996-3998
- The average capacity of the community's treatment plant is 1.42 million gallons per day. Deep well injection is used for effluent disposal and this well has a rated capacity of 2.84 million gallons per day.
- Peak usage to date has been 1.941 million gallons per day.
- The capacity available to new industry is 1.42 million gallons per day.
- The maximum discharge level of the following is permitted without a surcharge -
- BOD - 250 mg/l COD - n/a TSS - 250 mg/l
Sewer cost for the following:
- 10,000 gallons per day - $ 900.00
- 30,000 gallons per day - $2,700.00
- 50,000 gallons per day - $4,500.00
Natural gas is not available in South Bay. The gas supply comes from bottled propane. There are several suppliers of bottled propane gas in the South Bay area. The heat content of bottled propane is 2,500 BTU per cubic foot or 91,500 BTU per gallon.
The City of South is serviced with electrical service by Florida Power and Light.
Contact - George Gutierrez, Account Manager
Telephone Number - (561) 992-5912
The electricity rate in cents per KWH for a typical industrial user is between 2.8 cents and 3.868 cents per KWH plus $7.66 per KW demand. These figures do not include taxes, franchise fees, etc.
The community of South Bay, Florida is presently an attainment area.
Non-hazardous solid waste for the City of South Bay is handled by Waste Services of Florida Inc.
Contact - Fred Welch
Telephone Number - (863) 673-0481
There is no hazardous waste facility located in the area. The nearest facility is located in West Palm Beach, distance 45 miles.
- The civilian labor force of South Bay, Florida is. 2,511
- The community's total employment is 1,658
- The number of South Bay's unemployed is 853
- Total manufacturing employment for South Bay is 175
Average hourly entry and top wages for the following:
Drill Press Operator
Fork Lift Driver
Data Entry Keyers
Quality Control Inspectors